Friday, October 24, 2008

Meeting a poet in ujjain

Let me take myself to Vikramditya’s court. I am entering into a huge palace. I feel that it’s the golden era happened in India. People are happy. No poverty. Everybody is rich and happy. There I was standing.

I heard one man coming and telling me that I will show you a genius. A poet! Wow. Well OK. There he is. He is physically well built and handsome too.

Is this the man who received praise from Goethe? Is this a man who created Sakauntala. Is this a man who came after Ashvaghoshha to take Sanskrit literature into much higher level.

I can’t believe that he is uneducated in the beginning. He was ditched by his fiancée who were so disappointed by knowing that he doesn’t know anything. But Kali saved him.

I thought about my childhood and my Grany’s answers about my stupid questions.

Why Kali gone out Ammuma?
Ammuma: Kali wanted to go out of the srikovil because she had some unfinished work.
Me: Well Ok. So the sree kovil is empty?
Ammuma: Hmm. So the idiot prince went into that and locked.
Me: Ayyooo? Then how Kali will get into it. If people come in the morning to see her. What will happen Daivame?
Ammuma: Kali came back and saw the Srikovil is locked inside. Who is inside? No Ans. Kali repeated who is that and who is locked .

After that one voice came from inside “Who is outside?”

Kali got very angry. Are you questioning me?

Me: My God. He asked the Goddess. Mone gaya

Ammuma: Kali frustrated after asking the same questions again and again and finally replied. I am Kali standing outside and tell me who is inside?

I am Dasan inside and he came out. Kali given him the name and wrote “ Hari Sree Ganapathaye namah” on his tougue with her weapon.

The main poetic centre at Ujjain. People are gathered. Kalidasa is standing there and reciting his poem.

King Dushhyanta is hunting in the forest and he meets the hermit-girl Shakuntalaa, whom he marries by a ceremony of mutual consent. He made everybody stading there romantic literally including me.

Maharajan, you have to return back to the Kingdom.

Ohhhh all are disappointed including me


He presnts Shakuntalaa his signet ring and promise her that she will be taken into palace.
But curse is curse. When pregnant Shakuntalaa comes to the court, Dushhyanta fails to acknowledge her as his wife because of a curse.

All the temple bells ring all over Ujjain. Kalidasa stood and started moving towards Kali temple nearby by leaving his fans on the edge. He said to the anxious crowd!
Next part is tomorrow

Ujjain is red by sunset. The maha yogi is going for pooja at the kali temple. He passed me. I am near to him and looked at him admirably. The man who created Meghadūta, Abhijñānashākuntala and Kumārasambhava .

I called him “Deva”. He stopped and looked at me. Really

Make me your "YakSa" please. I will give your message to your beautiful wife and I will describe the beautiful course of my journey. I will paint the city of Alaka as it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in ujjain on Oct 2007. the magic is still there very much. The palaces are wonderful!very creative atmosphere do exist over there!

Anonymous said...

Nice reading...I will be visiting Ujjain in January.

Maneesh
Admirableindia.com